Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What really matters!

An honest confession: I have restricted knowledge about the Govt. Lokpal and the Jan lokpal bill. All the knowledge I have about the two bills is from the different blogs and articles I have been reading since past few months. I am an ordinary citizen and all I know about the movement is that the huge corruption scams need to end. I do not know if the clauses in Jan Lokpal bill are that strict as Ms.Arundhati Roy mentions that even a poor lady street hawker will be summoned for paying bribe to let her shop be established in the streets where street hawking has been banned. Yes, Ms Roy because this is illegal. Since street hawking is banned in those streets it definitely calls for summon. Who better than us know about what illegal immigration is? Hence let’s not even go there.
My point here is the cynics who are trying to relate the anti-corruption movement with all the possible problems the country is facing. The irony of Irom Sharmila is not with the ignorance the country holds about her or the cause she is fighting against. The irony lies in the support her people are providing. Let Manipur unite and bind with her and let the roar be heard. Haven’t the then little known state of Assam in 1985 achieved the unachievable with Assam accord? I believe no state is neglected until we chose to do so. What is the population of Manipur/NE? How many are affected by the AFSPA? Do we then need a Ramlila maidan or a Jantar mantar to have our voices heard?  But nevertheless this is just my point of view in this issue.
Getting back to the Lokpal bill again, new developments have surfaced. I see even the corrupt lot has been joining the bandwagon. However, a sincere request to Mr.Deve gowda –Sir, please do not make a mockery of the system by holding I am Anna placard and shouting corruption must end. May be you haven’t yet read the anti-graft bill like the many of the ignorant yet supportive lot like me. Pranab Mukherjee is at the helm of affairs as per the latest development and I wish they reach a consensus. Bend a little Ms. Bedi, Mr. Kejriwal , we need something. (Though I feel traumatic to hear the 70%-90% quantification as it reminds me of my dissertation. 2/5 Research questions answered, 3 more to go…God knows how to answer them...) Nevertheless, this has been a long and historic protest which will be remembered by the generation. Let us be proud of the movement, let nothing come in between. If wikileaks is true I believe we will be able to rein Kanimozhis, Razas and Kalmadis well before their Swiss visits. This is my understanding of Lokpal bill. I want it because I do not want the valiant effort of all the people involved in CWG to be marred by corruption. I do not want a BBC or a CNN to mock the system. I do not want the relief cheques to bounce… I do not want Naxalism as I would never want a Koda or anyone at the helm of affairs to ever be given a chance. Yes this is what matters to me. If any of the bills can stop it I would happily be an Anna, Aruna Roy or a Kejriwal. Just let it not be an ego war.  

No comments: